Blogging the Fringe

Wednesday 8 August 2007

THEATER REVIEW- Raz-mataz

After Raz-mataz, I feel like I have seen it all. It was a show I had heard people walked out of, “provocative” I reasoned. It was a show people regretted having seen, “narrow-minded” I defended. Can you imagine pure, pointlessness? A chaos of costume changes, jumping, screaming, drumming, a mess of streamers, and just to kick the audience when they’re already down? Mad prancing of a pantomime horse. In the end, I just left feeling awed that someone had managed to pull this together, hire stage-hands, schedule a venue, advertise at the fringe festival and even bring in a nightly audience.

If I was to fling shit around, I would just be routinely locked away or removed from among the judgment of the more civilized folk. What these young actors do is publicly mock our willingness to waste time, see art, and just watch people---doing something---doing anything. Two of the people in line with me were seeing it for the second time. How desperate we are to be shocked, to be disgusted, to feel. I am curious beyond words as to what the actors/writers/directors were thinking…and beyond that left strangely aroused. So all in all, a masochist’s dream.

There are no stars to give. This was beyond stars.




For those of you who did sadly did not grow up with either Star Trek or formal education, this is a black hole….because that’s where one hour of my life went, and I have no idea where that is.

7 Comments:

  • Yay, mention for me!
    See, you can't escape nutters like us who love this show.
    I'm in it tonight, so it's only going to get better.

    To me, the show is about the music more than anything else, and the actors are providing the video.
    It's not unusual for experimental tracks to start off with silence, and then the drums and guitars combine with the spoken word passages to create a really good experience, which ends with the 'band' smashing their equipment. Even when it seems there are no instruments other than vocals or silence, there's always the hum of an amp, the rattle of a guitar or the low drone of feedbacking effects pedals.
    Go and see this as an interactive piece of music with additional visual aspects - in that sense it's no different to Tool, Neurosis or Isis...if they sounded like Merzbow.
    You're right, it's impossible to represent a show like this with stars, purely because it's so goddamn good.
    I can see a cult RAZ-MATAZ following emerging, and I'm at the front of the queue.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8 August 2007 at 17:22  

  • Chris!

    You are the reason why movies like "Snakes on a Plane" are made (or would be, if you weren't in Scotland).

    I can't believe you weasled your way into the cast. Fantastic! I don't think you have enough money to get me to go back. BUT I look forward to picking through the tangles in your brain at some point. It's all for the sake of science...

    By Blogger An American in Scotland: Fringe Blogger, At 8 August 2007 at 20:02  

  • Ok, Blogger!
    Can you blog someone?
    Has Raz-mataz been "blogged"??!!

    You ok, Mate?

    Dunno...
    I was blogged on the Fringe!

    Well Raz ma Taz!

    By Blogger Oil Patch Mama, At 12 August 2007 at 13:02  

  • I saw snakes on a plane 3 times. I even took fake snakes in and threw them at people.
    It rules.
    Yay for my tangled brain, I'm here all month so feel free to wade through the mess of my thoughts whenever.
    I'm playing a gig with the guys from Raz-mataz next weekend too :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12 August 2007 at 14:56  

  • The bliss of fanaticism is known only as they say either "to the very young or the very foolish"

    Chris,

    I expect a personal invitation to the show!

    By Blogger An American in Scotland: Fringe Blogger, At 12 August 2007 at 15:30  

  • Personal invitation? You're invited. There :)
    Just thinking...I hope you don't believe I'm actually mental, as I am not (i think)...and whatever that blissful fanaticism thing meant, it just made me think of islamic extremists, and I hate them so bleurgh.

    I'll post the gig dates for you when Ben's confirmed them with Forest Cafe (where it's at) and you shall be invited - you can review it for us, it's gonna be really special, we have costumes and stage/setty things; plus, my fellow band member from Manchester is coming up to join in, and she's equally insane :D
    Yay excited. Off for cup-a-soup and noodles now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12 August 2007 at 16:51  

  • Easy tiger...no one thinks you're mental...there, there now...no need to get upset...

    kidding, of course : )

    Enjoy the soup and yes please post the dates, I would love to be the sem-"official" reviewer!

    By Blogger An American in Scotland: Fringe Blogger, At 14 August 2007 at 14:16  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home